Fellow Elecrafters:

K2 #4649 is alive! Actually, it has been alive for about a week
but I didn't want to declare victory until both CW & SSB were
fully tested. (OK, 12m is still not working... but I'm getting
there!) I did have a few questions which I hope the
collective expertise of the list might help me with.

1. Travel with the internal battery.
I've ordered the internal battery which should arrive today.
Is this thing sufficiently mounted to travel well
(shake-and-bump-wise)? It will be in a carry-on sized Pelican
case with all the nice padding but I'm wondering if most folks
remove the battery for travel (carry-on) or if it rides well
inside. Opinions?

2. My audio potentiometer is flakey. Who knows why. While I
tried to be careful during assembly, perhaps I pushed on the
shaft. Anyway, it is now "loose" and from about the 40% point
to the 80% point in its rotation it is clear the wiper is not
making good contact. Is this common? Are these potentiometers
especially vulnerable to such things? I'm also guessing that
ordering the replacement from Elecraft is the best idea
(instead of trying to match something in Digikey, or elsewhere).

3. Has anybody used the A&A Engineering smart SLA charger with
the internal battery? What mods, if any, did you make to the
battery system to achieve this?

4. I'm drooling over the hex paddles now advertised on the
Elecraft web site. It looks JUICEY! But, I would want it to
be the key that travels with the radio. Does anybody have this
item? If so, could you render an opinion about how well it
might travel in the aforementioned case?

=-=-=

Thanks for everybody's help. The little K2 is quite a radio!
First QSO was with Columbia on 20m from Massachusetts. Got a
great signal report on SSB 9 watts with a random wire antenna.
Pretty good!

I'm trying to get all this assembled, tested, and ready to
travel for Feb. I'll be QRV from KH6 mid-Feb for a week.
Lots to do before then!

-- Scott (NE1RD)

B. Scott Andersen    | "Magic is real, unless declared integer."
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   | -- The collected sayings of Wiz Zumwalt
Acton, Massachusetts | Ham: NE1RD, QRP ARCI#11588, FP#-910