Rather than using a DMM, while you have the rig hooked up to the PC (Speaker
jack NOT Phone jack) and using Spectrogram, follow the steps for the IF
Amplifier alignment - BUT look for the least amount of noise and a peak in
the signal.  If you don't have Spectrogram, use any PSK program with a
waterfall display and minimize the background clutter (like snow on a TV)
and maximize the brightness of the tone.  Works great and much easier.  Made
a tremendous difference on my rig.  I think if people that complained of
"Low output volume" there problems would go away.

Rich,
KE0X