Guys, I knew you would come through...;-)

So there's basically three ways to do this:
1. Block pin 4 of the KIO2 and cut the corresponding pin from the male connector.
2. Create a short cable and leave it attached.
3. Cut a slot in the shell of the male connector directly above pin 3, and solder a bit of wire for a key onto the shell of the female connector. See http://members.cox.net/cwnut/KI02_Serial_2.pdf

The latter one I had seen before, but forgot about. As soon as I saw it again, I recognized the pictures.. And solution #1 was what remembered and thought I'd seen pictures of. Thanks for sorting me out.

I think I'll go for #3 with a slight twist (why standardize, eh?): I think I'll put the wire on the female connector at the bottom instead of on the top (yes I'll remember to file the slot accordingly). The female connector will look less 'doctered' that way.

Thanks again,
Bart de PA3GYU.