Hi, all,
I believe "Isolated Tip" refers to the tip being isolated from the power to the heating element, not isolated from ground. If memory serves, this was to distinguish this type from the gun type where the tip was a part of the heating element circuit and had voltage applied to it by a transformer. I think all, or virtually all pencil type irons these days are "isolated tip".
   73,
  Mike Bowles, WH6AH