Bill Coleman wrote:

N connectors, while constant impedance, have their own problems. Biggest of which is the disconnection of the center conductor when the coaxial cable becomes very cold and shrinks.

In Finland N-connectors were used in mobile network antennas in towers for many years. Nowadays 7/16-connectors are taking their place. Temperatures in Finland during winter are sometimes very cold, even lower than -50C.

When coaxial cable is shrinking, it is coaxial cables fault. Reason is poor quality cable, not the connector.

For the frequency range of the K2/100, there's no reason to move to N connectors, unless you want to spend money.

I agree what comes to frequency range. I have measured UHF- or PL259-connector's return loss. They are very good in HF and lower VHF bands. In 430 MHz I wouldn't recommend PL259, even when using super high quality like Spinner.

N is ofter water tight. Can you find PL-259 which can be put into water for 24 hours? And get adequate return loss measurement results afterwards?

Rolf Moberg
oh6kxl