> Here's my question - what person can copy 100 wpm? Only a handful of
> people in the world can copy 60 wpm!

I'd guess it's a larger group than you might think -- though I'd agree
those folks are few and far between.  I've run into a handful than can
copy 100, and I remember about 10 years ago I was in disbelief when a
guy on a 2m repeater told me he could do over 100, so I put him on the
spot and cranked up my computer's CW speed to 100, asked him a question
in CW over the repeater, and he answered.  Holy cow.

> The bottom line -- if you are looking to run a 100 wpm data link on HF

Nope, this is for copy in the head.  For some reason when I listen to
folks QSO at 60 or 70 or higher, it just gets me really motivated, and
all the enjoyment I experienced when I started fiddling with radios
comes right back again (i.e., "you mean you can talk to someone on the
other side of the world, in real time, with less power than it takes to
light a 10 watt bulb?!)

It's great stuff.  Having a machine copy it takes *all* the magic away
for me.  Sending of course needs a keyboard.

Anyway, thanks for the comments, particularly the timing stuff.  You
really do need to be sending to someone with a very capable receiver.
(hmm... hopefully a K2).  You bring up a good point about a firmware PTT
tweak -- it doesn't sound like a horribly complicated thing to
implement, but then again, I don't know anything about the K2's
firmware.

I wonder if one could just hack the hardware to somehow keep TX engaged,
even if it means manually throwing a switch -- equivalent to the PTT
method but instead going right to the hardware.  After all, we have the
schematics (er, or I will once I order my new K2! :)

Thanks,
--Andrew, NV1B
..