I have had very good luck with the Rascal interface. Got the kit and picked
one that supplied an 8 pin mike connector. Wired up to be compatible to my
mike wiring.  I am also using MixW2 - well worth the $50!- MixW2 controls
bands, frequency and puts the data in the mini (big enough for me) log.
MixW2 also has ready made "contest" logs, ask someone else about these as I
am not a contester.  I selected RST for PTT/CW Key, used a larger interface
box than BuxComm provided and added a DB-9 connector.  This is wired to pass
through the CAT signals (ONLY PASS THESE THROUGH unless you want to replace
the MCU and K2IO!!!) which allows me complete control of the K2.  You would
want to select your PTT/CW-Key output based upon the needs of your programs.
DigiPan is free and sufficient for PSK-31, not sure if it provides K2
control signals.  I am now using (perfecting) a completely optical isolation
interface which is in the prototype stage. Some people have had luck without
isolation of the audio signals - with a laptop you might be lucky.

Rich,
KE0X