MARS has no better email than anyone else.  The request for application
could have fallen in the bit bucket and not gotten to MARS; or they might
have been short staffed as they often are at HQ.  MARS is pretty far down
the staffing priorities when it comes to the management of the program by
the military.  Always has been, even pre Vietnam war, when I was in MARS.

It is true, they have given up CW nets, and are moving toward digital forms
of communication.  It is also true the MARS fellows in volunteer
administration are probably pretty ignorant of the true value of QRP
especially with digital modulation.   A lot of them are ex service types
used to a kw or BC 610.  I personally would not ask them if I could use such
and such a rig.   After all, all they request is that you have a rig that
can meet their assigned modes and nets.  You can choose a configuration that
you believe meets the requirement.  If you can't make the nets, then you
find something that can.  For the present, they still have SSB, but they
also are involved in packet or other digital modes.  A kit rig could operate
with packet TNCs, and of course you could use an amplifier if needed.  The
best way to improve your station value to MARS is to have very good
antennas.  Now, at one time, there was talk of needing automatic link
establishment commercial transceivers, but that is pretty high dollar for an
all volunteer group.  Hopefully, that nonsense has gone away.

Since MARS is often a point to point service, that should be easily done.
Fixed wire beams, parasitic vertical arrays, rotatable beams, etc.,  are all
ways to satisfy their reliability requirement.  You will need an outdoor
antenna, and perhaps space for several antennas for the various nets.

The Fourth U. S. Army MARS Command Station used one beam and an assortment
of wire antennas to work the world with 100 watts.   For awhile, we did
enjoy the old Signal Corps hill location, with its fixed Rhombics, but had
to move to a more typical ham station location later.

-Stuart
K5KVH