Vic,
there was an article in QST a few years back on an
automatic antenna tuner that used steppers. The
feedback control used a basic stamp as I recall. It
was adaptable, if you want to write/modify code.

You may want to think about the rotary inductor. A
school of thought has it that they are slow beasts to
turn. Switching inductance in and out seems to be
faster and easier to control. If you're primarily a CW
op, switching is probably the simplest route to go. On
the other hand, if you do say CW/SSB/MARS a rotary
inductor makes more sense.

Thanks for the update!
Julius
n2wn