Andrew,

Yes, I believe the manual is inconsistant on that point.  Just make certain
there is one lockwasher between the standoff and the PC board (not 2) - and
it doesn't matter which end of the standoff has the lockwasher next to the
PC board - do it whichever way is better for you.  I prefer to put the
lockwasher next to the standoff on the conrol board rather than 'fiddlin'
with a lockwasher between the standoff and the board when putting the
assembly together.

73,
Don W3FPR