Hi Fellow Elecrafters,

First off I would like to thank all who responded to my questions concerning
soldering the lugs/tabs of slug tuned coils.  And, about how long it might take
Elecraft to send a replacement for a missing part.  As for the missing part and
replacement, it was ten days for me to receive mine, from the day I reported it
missing.  It was 4 days before they got it shipped out (since they had gotten
behind) and took 6 days to get here (TN from CA).  So, all things considered,
not to bad.

Here is my good/bad news report on progress with K2 4777.  Got the missing
component today and got it installed, finished with all the resistance checks
(all seemed to be in range), VCO voltage checks (none of the voltage checks
were less than 1.5 volts or greater than 6 volts).  Setting up filters,
alignments etc all seemed to go well.  Thus, I would say that is all good news.

Now, the bad news.  In the process of doing my first VCO voltage check  my DMM
ground probe (I am guessing) fell over from where it was attached to one of the
ground points on the RF board and shorted to something.  Since, smoke started
to rise.  Upon inspection, I found that R82 (an 18 ohm resistor) to the left of
the noise blanker on the schematic and in the 12 volt supply line was
burned/blackened.  Needless to say, I was sickened.  But, I continued on with
all the tests/alignments.  Since, I could not see how that particular resistor
would have any effect on what I was testing/aligning.  And, all was well.

Questions are:

1.  If I recall correctly, BFO frequency range was to be between 9.7/9.8 to
some amount higher, I came up with 9.5 or 9.6, is this significant or are we
splitting hairs here?

2.  Concerning the smoked resistor,  is it imperative that I replace it with an
18 ohm resistor?  Or, can I opt to replace it with the closest standard value I
have on hand (which is either a 15 or 22 ohm)?  I ask this, since I don't know
the design criteria.  But, (from what little I know about design) I know that
often (when a circuit is designed) the values that are calculated (for a
particular component) are often replaced by the closest standard value that is
on hand.

Thanks In Advance,

Mike
KT2E