A far safer method, Stephen, is to position a pin on one side of the board, held there with your index finger. Apply the iron to the other side of the board and as the solder melts gently push the pin through the hole. This then leaves a hole into which the component can be inserted.

73 de David G4DMP

In a recent message, Stephen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said....
What I did was to
use a very small drill, with a diameter smaller that that of the hole, and
twist it gently between my fingers. This was sufficient to remove enough of
the solder to allow me to insert the component leads without damaging the
through hole plating.