Please ignore my earlier posting.  Resisting the
temptation to remove relays K1 -6 and -7 but being
obsessed with finding an answer to my problem, I
decided, instead, to scan the web (over a glass of
wine).  Much to my surprise, AD5MQ's web page
described exactly the phenomenon I had experienced -
which was cured by installing relays K1 8 -17 (not
just 1 - 7)!  Problem fixed.

Guess it pays to read those directions carefully.  ;)

Bob Brown
N1CVX