Hi Susan:

The pin inserts BETWEEN the RED and BLACK connector, NOT between the
PAIRS of them.

If your APP connector separated from the radio too easily, there's an
all too good chance that one of the (4) connectors is not fully
'seated' with its mate and is a fraction of an inch ahead of (or
behind) the other connector of the pair.

Another possibility is that (particularly on the power cable end) one
(or both) of the push-in connector contacts has not been fully seated
to the point that it has successfully (and completely) slipped over
the leaf spring in each of the plastic housings.  It MUST LOCK over
the front of the leaf spring or it will not allow the 2-connector
assembly to seat properly.

If you wish, I can send you some illustrations of properly seated APP
contacts, but I can't send 'em thru the reflector (which doesn't
support file attachments OR embedded images).

73,

Tom Hammond   N0SS