A directory is not a file.  It is only an item in the file control
system table.  You're assuming that the properties of the directory
dictate the access control level of the files associated with it.  This
isn't the case.  You can't write to a directory the same way you can
write to a file.  Therefore, it is read-only.  A directory looks like a
container but its not.  It is an association or an attribute of a file.

Doug -- K0DXV