Ed,

Google: "K7QO code course"

If you faithfully follow it for about 15 minutes a day, your code speed will be
at least 18 wpm in about a month.  Then you will really start to have fun with
your KX1.

Remember that your KX1 has only 3 or 4 watts output so use good QRP practices.
Use the best antenna you can and send a lot of CQs.  7.060 and 14.060 are good
QRP frequencies to try.  (Google : "QRP")  We will be listening for you.

73 de W6BK