As others have said, on the air practice is the best way to improve your cw.
I'm going to
probably irritate some people when I say this, but QRP is not the best choice
for someone
who is learning cw.

What you need are lots of QSOs. It's much easier to get them with 100 watts
than it is
with QRP, especially if you don't have a better-than-average antenna. If you
are 54 years
old, you probably have other things to do with your time than be on the air 12
hours a
day, so at least in the beginning you need to make your time count.

You can get an older transceiver for a couple of hundred dollars or less, or a
local ham
will lend you one. If you can put up a full size horizontal antenna at a
reasonable height
(at least 30') that will help too.

If you try to make QSOs with 3 watts and a shortened vertical you will struggle.

After you become proficient at cw you can take your KX1 backpacking, throw
wires into
trees and have a lot of fun.

--
Vic, K2VCO