I worked the NAQP-CW in multi-two (two stations) this weekend and we
used my K3 and an FT1000, which was my former rig.  Operators went back
and forth between rigs.  Of course I'm currently more familiar with the
K3, but even the day I left the FT1000 for it, I found the K3 very easy
to use and human engineered very well.  Easier to use for contesting
than the FT1000.

I'm mainly a CW operator so I appreciate that everything I needed was
right in front of me -- shift, selectivity, keyer speed, keyer memories,
RIT, and main tuning, all dedicated controls with no menu access
needed.  (Yes, the serial link screwed up and I used the built-in keyer
for sending.)

The FT1000 was a great rig, but I wouldn't want my K3 to be inflated to
FT1000 size.

I have fat fingers and am not the most dexterous, but I don't see how
one could bump the width control while going for the main tuning knob.

Maybe one small suggestion for a tweak.  I used the auto-repeat memory
function for CQing.  My impulse was to tap the paddle to stop message
sending if someone would begin to respond.  But that would send a dit
(or dah) and I'd miss part of his call.  Perhaps while in auto-send
mode, the first tap of the paddle should stop sending but not be
transmitted.

73-

Nick, WA5BDU