If your ears don't work Pete, how about you use your eyes.  There's a great
free program that works with your computers sound card input.  It's called
Spectrogram and it's FREE.  You can download it here:
http://w5big.com/Spectrogram517.zip
with this program you can set up a marker for your "zero beat" PITCH freq. and
you can visually see all the signals within your pass band area.  When you have
decided which is the one that you want to tune in, all you have to do is move
your VFO until that particular signal is sitting right on top of the Marker
line (pitch freq marker).

The great thing about it is it works Post filters, notch, width and shift
because it's using the audio out of your rig.  This means that you can not only
see the signals, but you will be able to adjust your manual notch freq. and see
how it effects the signals around the marker. You'll also be able to narrow or
widen your width filter then shift around so that you can visually watch how
you are cutting off other signals to the side of your Pitch marker freq.

It's a great too to have, and from what you've said about not being able to
tune someone in, I think that this would be a perfect tool for you. One last
benefit for you to have this program would be for setting up your REF CAL
alignment in the K3 too.  This program will get you within 1 Hz (or less) of
Zero Beat. (Config: Ref Cal)

Of course there's always the CWT marker that you could move around until you've
lined the K3 in Zero beat, and if you put the right signal in the display and
hit SPOT (while in CWT mode) it will automatically set that for you as well
(+/-2 Hz).  The combination of looking at the Spectrogram, cleaning out the
unwanted signals, then hitting auto spot on the K3 is your best bet for fast
automation.
Hope this helps solve your issue.