On Apr 27, 2005, at 11:00 PM, Stewart Baker wrote:

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 10:39:22 -0500 (CDT), [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Now that I have the KIO2 installed I'm anxious to test it out. I see quite a
long list of programs that provide support for the K2.

To add to the list - if you like to contest try N1MM. It's free, and I.M.H.O. is the best contest logging program around. Integration with the K2 is perfect.

Be very careful with the N1MM software. It is revised very often, and not all of the upgrades are good. Last November I lost about two hours of operating time in the ARRL November Sweepstakes because of a bug in the version of the software I was running. It turns out that Tom had introduced a "feature" two revs earlier and backed it out three versions later. It didn't help me at the time.

The real story here is to always extensively test your setup, especially the computer software, before any contest to make sure you won't have troubles during the contest. In my case, the problem showed up six hours after the start of the contest, but I still should have done much more testing before then...

One other point. CW keying from N1MM logger requires the use of either a port output line (serial or parallel) or the K1EL keyer interface. The Elecraft / Kenwood KY facility is not supported despite requests to do so.

Still, it is very good software, and getting even more interesting with the now-in-test version 5.0.

- Jack Brindle, W6FB