I don't really want to "get into it" with others on this subject, but I was in a friendly discussion with another ham concerning remote-base operations using an internet link to an HF set, and began investigating the legality of such operation. I posed a question to the ARRL regulatory branch to see what their opinion was (John Hennessee) because I saw that more than a few folks seem to be using TRX manager and other software as a "package" to operate their HF set from a remote location over an internet link. Pretty amazing stuff if you ask me, and I was about to see if I could get on the bandwagon as well! Who wouldn't like the capability of jumping on your home HF set from another state whenever you please via a simple internet connection?

As it turns out, "remote base" operation in the U.S. is ILLEGAL if it transmits below 29.5MHz. The link to your HF set (which may only transmit ABOVE 29.5MHz) may _ONLY_ be one of the following choices:

A. RF link above 222.15MHz
B. Hard-wire control from point to point
C. A telephone link via an unlisted telephone number

No regulatory precedence has been set, no rule written into law, for using the internet to remotely control a radio. Yes, this includes Echolink and IRLP, and other variations on the theme.

Although using such a station in countries other than the U.S. may be legal, here in the U.S. it's _ILLEGAL_.

No need to "correct me". If you feel the need to "correct" someone, the thing for you to do is to get a "petition for rulemaking" started, because this rule is based in LAW, not OPINION. For it to be legal to use the internet to transmit with your HF rig below 29.5MHz, you need to have the law changed, or have a new law written, not change my opinion. Whether or not the FCC is willing to enforce this rule is another matter entirely.

You'll need two law changes:

1. Make it legal to transmit via remote base below 29.5MHz.

2. Recognize the internet as a legal means to control a remote base.

73, -KR4WM