Because of this thread I decided to do a quick comparison of my K3 to
another rig.  I have the W2IHY iPlus hooked up to both the K3 and 746 Pro
using the Icom SP-21 speaker.  For those that aren't familiar with the
iPlus, it allows you (among other things) to switch your audio stack and
output speaker between two rigs.  I switched both rigs back and forth on
some strong 75m stations tonight with both rigs' NB and NR turned off and RF
gain turned to max on each.  Both rigs AGC were set to slow for posterity's
sake.  I'm using the proper speaker cables on both rigs running to the iPlus
switch and then from the iPlus to the SP-21.

I tested the entire AF range of both rigs which switching back and forth on
the same RX stations.  The results of this test show me that the Icom 746
Pro audio output is significantly greater than the K3.  I don't have any
test equipment to measure this, but I could probably make an audio recording
if desired.  The K3's audio wasn't too low and was generally very
comfortable, but the 746 Pro did have more output potential if desired.  I
could see how the greater volume potential would be desired by those who are
hard of hearing.  Keep in mind that this test is using a MONO speaker.  I
could do the test again using some stereo headphones output from the iPlus
if there is any interest.

Tim
AE6LX