I agree with both of you on this. I thought the discussion was about
optimizing the audio. Self-listening will disclose severe distortion,
clipping, extreme over compression, etc.

Most Hams these days have a computer around the rig. I record a bit of my
transmitted audio on mine to evaluate a microphone for subtle values, but a
scope is still my tool of choice to check for flat-topping and distortion.

There's always the issue of the OTHER guy's rig, his settings, etc., all of
which greatly affect the sound he hears.

Ron AC7AC