Yes, it has been debated.  But....

I've gotten used to CW REV for audio higher = frequency higher.  I *CAN* set
the radio so audio freq higher = RF frequency higher on CW.  I have gotten
used to making sure that logging programs reset to CW REV, not CW, so I
don't constantly have to hit MODE ALT during a contest to return to audio
freq higher = RF freq higher.  And YES I DO sometimes flip to CW, open up
the bandwidth and scan higher frequency to lower frequency so that new stuff
rolls in higher to lower audio, just to get away from the crowd that is
scanning low to high frequency using their CW USB.  And yes, I still think
CW USB and CW LSB is a better label, and USB is really "normal", and no, it
doesn't mean a thing to me that the K2 has a USB/LSB that flips on high
bands and IT has REV.  A K2 is a K2, which is a wonderful compactness and
function with minimal parts. After all it only has15 buttons. How much can
one expect...

 But I've gotten used to all the CW REV stuff.

But I've never gotten used to the K3's clunky, "stop everything in a contest
and guess the right sidetone level while the RX audio is cut off" sidetone
adjustment. It STILL bothers me and I have not found a way around it.
Actually it bothers me more now because so much other stuff has been fixed,
added, adjusted so neatly.

I've never gotten used to it, and I really don't think Elecraft has this one
right.  I'm not sure how to implement it, but I need to be able to adjust
the level while I'm transmitting, while sending CW, and I need to do both
MON and PITCH without turning off RX, and it really is a by-band adjustment.
I think an option CW MON ADJ:TX ONLY to go with CW MON ADJ:NOR would do it.
Currently hitting MON in TX **cuts off the RX audio**.  That makes it
useless during a contest, because I have to find a space of time when I'm
not RX OR TX.  Which means the current setup is strictly
set-it-in-advance-and-live-with-it.  I don't care whether "NOR" is something
I can't use. It's like CW REV.  This MON adjustment clunker on the
irritating scale is more like CW with no way to do CW REV.

If one wanted to get crazy, you could just switch how it works based upon
whether the rig is in CW and has transmitted in the last second.

Can we please get this one on the list?  Every time I have to come to a
complete halt to adjust sidetone level, its just like the faucet dripping in
the sink at night.

I think that the reason it is done this way and no joy yet, is because Wayne
is using code wrapped around the PITCH function code to do both that and
MON, and will have to code the blend to make it happen like an analog radio,
one of these simple-to-say-dickens-to-code things.

73, Guy.