Indeed, stuff happens. But it's a sobering reminder that Hams are
responsible for securing transmitters so they cannot be operated by an
unlicensed individual, much less put in transmit mode accidentally. For most
of us, having the shack inside our home eliminates unlicensed operators, but
the accidental transmission is just as bad.

AFAIK, the FCC doesn't levy huge fines easily to such people, recognizing
that accidents can happen, but it's still a very serious violation of the
FCC rules. Careless is never an excuse.

Part of the design of any Ham station *must* be a positive way of disabling
the transmitter(s) when the licensee is not present.

Ron AC7AC