From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Dick Dievendorff
Sent: Saturday, September 18, 2010 1:31 AM
To: 'The Smiths'; invento...@gmail.com; 'Elecraft Reflector'
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K3 :: firmware update failure

This works, but it may be more complex than is required.

The P3 currently sends initialization commands to the K3 when the P3 starts
up, and it doesn't check before sending these commands that the K3 is acting
as a K3.  If the K3 is in its "boot loader" (showing MCU LD in the LCD) some
of the commands sent by the P3 tell the K3 to start receiving firmware.  In
that state we don't get responses from the radio except on firmware block
boundaries.

If you turn everything off (remove the power plug from the K3 and P3, and if
necessary, shut down the K3 Utility), then don't reinstall the P3 power
plug, then start the K3 and the K3 Utility, the program should find the
radio. There isn't a need to change the RS-232 cable, if the P3 stays off
there is a bypass relay within it for the RS-232 connection.

Some have reported that the COM port used by the K3 Utility is made unusable
when the P3 gets into this state.  I believe that may be dependent on the
USB to Serial Adapter device driver you have. A PC reboot may be necessary
to free the COM port.  The K3 Utility Closes the COM port handle during all
controlled termination scenarios except Task Manager termination.  Windows
process termination closes all open handles, but sometimes the device driver
doesn't complete Close.

If the K3 is in "MCU LD" state, the P3 must stay off from the time the K3
power is turned on until the K3 firmware load is complete.  It's not good
enough to turn the K3 on, have the P3 start up with it, and then turn the P3
off.  During that brief period, the P3 sends the commands that influence the
K3's boot loader.

Usually you can just load firmware by turning the P3 off and sending the
firmware.  But if anything goes wrong with the firmware load and you end up
in the K3 bootstrap loader (MCU LD on the front panel) at K3 startup, the P3
must stay off to recover.

I have my P3 jumpered to not start up with the K3.  It needs an explicit
Power On button press, and I avoid this situation.

Ultimately this will be resolved by a P3 firmware change to determine the
K3's state before sending it commands that could influence the boot loader.

The P3 owner's manual is being updated with the details of this procedure.

73 de Dick, K6KR