From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Kok Chen
Sent: Sunday, September 19, 2010 12:34 PM
To: Elecraft Reflector
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K3 :: firmware update failure

On Sep 19, 2010, at 9/19    9:47 AM, Bill K9YEQ wrote:

>  I find the process simple and it works well for upgrading any of the
> K3 devices. The procedures for  firmware updating both P3 and K3
> aren't fool proof.

While better but still not 100% foolproof, the Canon cameras that I have can
be updated by first copying the firmware file into the same memory card that
holds the photos, and then commanding the camera through a menu to update
firmware. It does take away most of the "scare factor" when updating the
firmware.

That being said, by now there are probably amateur rigs that update firmware
through the ubiquitous USB memory stick.

A memory stick could be a good way to save menus and configs of a rig, too.
But you would need to add the cost of a USB connector and perhaps an
additional $5 AVR microprocessor.  That could translate to a burdened $20 on
the end user, but it can save on support phone calls and companies can
perhaps eat some of the margin :-).

73
Chen, W7AY