W8JI wrote:

> Who the heck is copying that and what are
they copying???

> The highest speed record for a long time,
of copying
> unexpected text, was only around 70-80 WPM.
That record held
> the whole time I was growing up, and it was
from the 30's I
> think.
>
> It is certainly impossible to copy 300 WPM
without decoding.

> I have some nagging questions about these
speed claims.

>Tom - I was reviewing some of the archived
posts and ran across this one.
>FYI, QSOs at 100 WPM happen on 40 CW and on
the Internet (iCW).  This is
>copying in one's head, not on paper.  There
are a handful of guys, and one
>YL, who have broken the 200 WPM barrier with
RUFZ, copying a single callsign
>at that speed.  I forget who was first -
either Goran, YT7AW or Fabian,
>DJ1YFK, both of whom I've met at the HST
competition - and they look normal
>:.)

>There are also some incredibly fast eastern
EUs who copy very high speeds on
>paper with a shorthand system.  I presented
at the Contest Forum in Dayton
>4-5 years ago and showed a picture of what
the shorthand looks like.
>McElroy's ~75 WPM (on paper) record is long
gone.

>Barry W2UP

If you'd like to hear QRQ CW, I invite you
all to visit our website.

http://qrqcwnet.ning.com/

Here you can listen to recordings of QSO's at
100+ wpm, find tips, advice
and software to help you make the jump from
QRS (<50 wpm) to QRQ.  There is
also software to allow you to use ICW,
Internet CW.  ICW allows you to
participate in QSO's, roundtables and club
nets, when the bands are down.
By the way, CW at >100 wpm is often mistaken
for some sort of digital mode
transmission, as you'll see, if you listen to
the recordings on the website.
Joe, KH6/W3GW has a QRQ article in the most
recent CQ magazine (Sept. 2010).
An expanded version is also posted on the
club site.

73 de Dana  W8DH QRQ-CW