Hi Rick:

Initially, I added a pair of Motorola (mobile) amplified speakers to
my K2 (and subsequently to my K3) installation.  I found that having
a PAIR of speakers on
the audio output of the K2 and K3 made a significant improvement in
my enjoyment of listening and I seemed to have to 'work' less to hear
signals.  And YES, my hearing is just fine (well... unless you ask my XYL...).

The speakers worked nicely, but the DC connections just meant more
wires that had to be connected.

I then (about 2-3 years ago, I guess) switched to a pair of Motorola
UN-amplified mobile speakers to replace the amplified pair I had been
using.  I found these speakers on EBay for a total of $15 (shipped).

The new (3.2 Ohm) speakers work just great, have more than ample
audio output for use in my somewhat noisy (at times) shack, and give
me the audio quality I want for my (99% CW) operation... they also
sound great on SSB, though they're certainly NOT tailored toward the
hi-fi SSB scene.

ANY time you insert a set of amplified speakers into the ham station,
you're risking problems with potential RFI into the amplifiers and
then the associated fight to quell the RFI.  I'd much prefer to go
with UNamplified speakers, if I can find the right ones.

The K3 audio system 'likes' a speaker load in the 4 Ohm range.  8-Ohm
speakers should give adequate reproduction, but will generally not
produce nearly as much output as a speaker more closely matching the
desired 4-Ohm load.  The K3 seems to really like the 3.2 Ohm Motorola speakers.

73,

Tom Hammond   N0SS