I would concur with Don.  I do not use the preamp unless the noise level is
very low.  I use the attenuator on load bands or when there is a substantial
noise level.  I use AGC as I don't want to damage my hearing accidentally.

Bill
K9YEQ

  John,

I find that true too - but ONLY under the following conditions:
1 - the preamp is turned on
2 - the attenuator is off
3 - I set the K3 to hear only noise (no signal)

If I set the preamp off and attenuator on (normal operation with my 80 meter
antenna) and then set the AF gain to listen to normal signals, the
K3 is less noisy with no signal than using other settings for the AGC
Threshold.
In other words, you cannot listen only to the noise level and make a valid
comparison.

73,
Don W3FPR