John,

Your recording has substantiated the cautions that I have mentioned.
First, attempts to evaluate the K3 AGC response with no signals on the
band will lead you in the wrong direction.
Secondly, you apparently have the AF Gain well advanced, perhaps even at
maximum.
Third, you have demonstrated that at low threshold settings the AGC can
be activated on receiver noise alone.  That fact is demonstrated by a
reduction in noise when the threshold is lowered.
Reducing the RF Gain has the effect of reducing the range of the AGC.

If you want signals to "pop out of the noise" using real signals on a
real band, try setting the Threshold to maximum and set the Slope to
minimum.   Set the attenuator on and preamp off for 160 meters (unless
you are using an inefficient receiving antenna).  Start with the RF Gain
set at full clockwise and turn the AF Gain up only until you hear a
moderate, but tolerable amount of band noise.

You may wish to reduce the RF Gain a bit and advance the AF Gain, but
keep the band noise received to a moderate level.

Try it and see what happens.

Again, reducing the AGC Threshold is going exactly the wrong way.

73,
Don W3FPR