From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Don Wilhelm
Sent: Friday, October 08, 2010 1:56 PM
To: m...@paxsen.com
Cc: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K3 AGC THR doesn't go low enough

  I seem to have trouble convincing some to raise the threshold to combat
the noisy effect.  Please read all below carefully, and I believe I can
offer some explanation.

Let's study what the AGC SLP and AGC THR settings do and try to relate them
to the perception that the K3 is noisy.

IF --
the threshold is so low that the noise triggers the AGC (and that will be
happening if the noise is causing the S-meter to have a reading with no
signal) AND -- If the slope is set to a high value which makes all the
signals have more or less the same audio volume, THEN -- The noise will
appear at about the SAME audio volume as the signals.
RESULT --
A K3 that sounds noisy :-( !  It is a combination of both the threshold and
the slope that create this condition.

The cure for that situation is to increase the threshold and reduce the
slope.
How much?
That is an individual decision, but I have mine set to the extremes of THR
at 008 and SLP at 002.
I really believe the defaults are OK for a band where the ambient noise
level is lower, but certainly gives problems on a band that is inherently
noisy.

Please make your evaluation while listening to signals and the breaks
between signals - if you are hearing only noise, you will naturally turn the
AF Gain up, and yes the noise will increase - not only that, with only
noise, the perception is that one should use a lower threshold setting.
That is because as you lower the threshold, the AGC response to the noise
gets stronger, and the audio level is reduced by the AGC - what you are
perceiving is  exactly the opposite of what you wish to achieve.

In addition, turn the attenuator on and the preamp off - again, if you hear
an increase in the band noise when the antenna is connected, you have all
the sensitivity that you can use for that band and antenna.
The K3 remembers those settings by band, so you don't have to make changes
as you switch bands.

73,
Don W3FPR