> Anyway, I'm currently using the default settings where each AF knob is
> independent.  In my previous radios, it's always been a Balance knob, so
> I'm thinking of changing it to that.  Any comments, pro or con?
> Tnx,
> Barry W2UP

Barry,

The problem for me was having the balance control on the outer concentric
ring of the knob set.  I modified my K3 so that the top knob set is
configured for MAIN AF/RF Gain, with MAIN RF Gain on the outer knob, and
MAIN AF Gain on the inner knob.  The SUB AF/RF function is now located on
the bottom, with the SUB RF Gain on the lower outer knob, and SUB AF
Gain/BALANCE on the lower inner knob.  The ergonomic difference is like
night and day.

When I activate split, I can manipulate the lower inner knob between the DX
station and the called station.  I really detest having to manipulate the
outer ring to balance between stations.  The propensity for disrupting the
alternate knobs is much greater.  Further, at the suggestion from someone
else on the list, I replaced both knob sets with Alcoswitch black anodized
types through Mouser.  The inner knob extends just slightly more, making the
DX split experience even more enjoyable.

The mod is easily reversible and requires swapping pot leads on the Main DSP
board.  An even better solution could come from Elecraft through firmware.
Since the pots are all of the same resistance value, a firmware command
could be used to swap these functions.

Paul, W9AC