The lye definitely does eat away the pure aluminum, as I learned in my
miss spent youth!  The fireballs were impressive, also, and we were
darn lucky.  I think you would need to eat through the good metal just
to get to the oxide, which is on the inside.  Heat would probably be
the best bet, and not from burning (exploding) hydrogen.  The aluminum
we used for our "experiments" was obtained from old TV antennas in the
dumpster behind the local TV repair store.  This was also the source
for our antenna wire.  Old bundles of 300 ohm twin lead.  We thought
it needed to be bare, since that was what it said in the handbook, so
we burnt the insulation off.  What a mess!

73,
Rick Dettinger  K7MW