Jim,

I do not have enough information for a good answer, but I can ask a
question --
What are the voltage levels you are applying to the ACC pin 1?  It must
be 0 volts and +5 volts - there is a pullup resistor in the K3, so you
only need an open collector transistor to accomplish the keying from an
RS-232 signal.
The TTL voltage must be referenced to ground (ACC pin 5 or pin 12).

What do you mean by "bypassing the MicroKeyer 2" - what is driving the
ACC connector pin 1 (and K3 ground).
I am not familiar enough with the Microkeyer 2 to understand its
connection options.

If you are applying raw RS-232 levels to ACC pin 1, you may have damaged
the TTL input and/or the pullup resistor.

The K3 Utility uses an entirely different path to create RTTY (or PSK31)
from ASCII input through the RS-232 connector, so there is not a 1 to 1
correlation between the K3 Utility method and the FSK input to the ACC
connector.

73,
Don W3FPR