I agree that we should not give up the tunable APF. For one thing, RIT is not
available if
QRQ CW is on. I like the option to set the DSP bandwidth to say, 1 kHz, and
then use the
APF tune to pick out the guy I want to copy. This might be useful when running
in a
contest: set the DSP to kill the loud guys on either side of you and then use
the APF to
peak your caller.

Variable Q might be desirable in some circumstances, but I wouldn't want to
give up either
the APF tuning or the DSP width adjustment to make it possible.

Somebody mentioned being able to adjust the Q 'just below the point of
oscillation'. While
I like the nostalgic reference to the Heath Q Multiplier and the National
Select-o-ject, I
suspect that Lyle is quaking in his boots about the possibility of allowing the
DSP to
oscillate!

--
Vic, K2VCO