Hi James,
    I installed firmware 4.17 then went back to 4.14 yesterday.
What I noticed today is that I had to change the mic gain, but in the
opposite direction of what you did.
I am using a Peltor headset fitted with a HC-4 capsule, and I used mic
gain around 20-22, compression 23, no bias, gain high to get 5-6 ALC
bars (with compressor turned off, as manual states).
Today I had to put mic gain at about 10-11 to have 5-6 bars.
I don't know if something is related to upgrading to 4.17 and then back
to 4.14, and I don't think it's worth resetting the whole rig, but I had
the impression that something more has changed somewhere.

Ciao
Fabio
  IZ4AFW / NZ1W