>> I'm surprised that Yaesu still insisted on using a proprietary interface
>> requiring a special connector.

The FT-990/1000/2000/5000/9000 PKT input with a standard DIN 5 is
hardly "proprietary."  Other than the DIN 5 that has been around
for many years - the PKT jack is not functionally different than
the KIO3 with its 2 x 3.5mm jacks for audio and DB15HD for PTT.

Some of the other new Yaesu (FT-450/8x7/950) rigs have adopted the
mini-DIN6 "DATA" jack that has become an amateur industry standard.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV