Hello Don,

Very true indeed.  Downward conversion is a good cost Vs performance solution
for radio targeting at ham band.

Elecraft's selection of downward conversation is clever because both K2 and K3
are targeting ham operators.
 cheers,

Johnny VR2XMC

----- 郵件原件 ----
寄件人﹕ Don Wilhelm <w3...@embarqmail.com>
收件人﹕ Elecraft@mailman.qth.net
傳送日期﹕ 2010/11/17 (三) 7:47:07 AM
主題: Re: [Elecraft] OT: QST's review of the Yaesu FTDX5000MP

  Actually, the 9 MHz IF got started and gained momentum from the first
SSB phasing generators.  Some of the first SSB transmitters were phasing
types with the 9 MHz IF - using a 5.0 to 5.5 MHz VFO, one could cover
3.5 to 4.0 MHz and also 14.0 to 14.5 MHz with the same 9 MHz generator.
Transceivers were only a dream at that time.  Receivers did not normally
use a phasing approach.

Then McCoy came out with a reasonably priced 9 MHz crystal filter that
made filter SSB transmitters possible with the same 9 MHz IF.
Transceivers were now possible with that filter, and there were several
homebrew designs as well as some commercial implementations of
transmitters and receivers and transceivers using a 9 MHz IF.

Another observation - sideband suppression and top-notch performance
were difficult using analog phasing methods (although Rick Campbell KK7B
does have some very good analog designs), the DSP algorithms are a
perfection of the phasing method of SSB generation and reception, so we
have come "full circle" with the advent of DSP implementations.

As far as the advantages of "down conversion" - that was very
successfully implemented in the K2, although there were other homebrew
implementations.  The single conversion down-conversion receiver in the
K2 proved its worthiness to many operators while the rest of the world
was using up-conversion to obtain full 0.1 to 30 kHz continuous coverage
and few 'birdies'.  Birdies are inevitable with a down-conversion
scheme, and the challenge is to keep them out of the ham bands.

73,
Don W3FPR