HI

The USB/Cable adapter + RS232 is, at least, a solution which ensures a
perfect compatibility for the future of any operating system. Unfortunatly
an USB port is dependant on the willingness of the manufacturer of the chip.
Not an RS232 port that you can use on any system.

To understand, I suggest you try an ICOM IC-1500 (which features only an USB
port) under W7/64 bits!...

But you are right right : RS232 ports are obsolete; but if an USB port is a
good solution for a cheap webcam, it is not a solution for long life
equipement like transceivers since it is compatible with a limited number of
systems.

In my humble opinion, the way to go is a TCP/IP port with all parameters
accessible from any browser on any system... and with a bonus... remotely
(like a cable/dsl modem). It is strange that none of the current
manufacturers develop such system (except TenTec with the OmniVII but with
limited capabilities since it does not include a web server). Logging
control should not be a problem with a TCP/IP server.

73, Laurent F6DEX

-----
Laurent F6DEX