Hi John,

Basically, yes; if you want to get more than 2 watts out of the KX1, you need
an external power source.  If you look at the specs on page 5 of the manual, it
says:

Transmitter
        Max. power output (approx.)
                9 V supply      1.5 - 2 W
                12 V supply     3 - 4 W

The internal battery holders have space for 6 AA cells, so the best you can get
from internal batteries (using ordinary batteries) is 1.5V x 6 = 9 V

73
--
Joe KB8AP