Wow--I received a plethora of responses, all pretty much saying what Don's
said here - external 13.8 power supply will yield just about 4 watts.
Internal batteries, which are only going to run around 9v (6 x 1.5 = 9) will
only crank out around 2 watts.

Many thanks for the help. I'm dutifully saving up for my first Elecraft,
which will be the KX1. I'm hoping to have a nice project for the holidays!

73's,

John O.
K7JTO

--