Stephen,

Well, it was the way to go for me, but I can completely understand
buying a K3 as a first radio.

I have a number of hobbies, and my normal technique is to buy the kit
all the others are comparing themselves against; the K3 certainly fits
that bill in ham radio.  I like to buy good gear in this way because I
am rarely disappointed with the results.  Besides, good tools are a
joy to use all by themselves. And, good kit is easier to sell if I
change my mind.

This time, it just didn't work for me. The availability of the amazing
kits from Elecraft, however, provided a path that was appropriate for
what I want to accomplish and I think I am finding success. Others
must find their own way and I certainly did not intend to disparage
anybody else's choice.

Even so, I too would like a "Theory and Operations guide".  Perhaps
that shows graphs indicating what happens to the input RF or output AF
waveforms when different features are enabled as a way to visualize
what is happening without having to resort to understanding ICE
simulations of the circuits (do they still use ICE? It's been a long
time since college).

73, all, and remember to have fun!

Byron N6NUL
K1 #2799
K2 ordered for Christmas!

--
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2011 Cal QSO Party 1-2 Oct 2011