Fred,

For more on the K3 AGC system, please see the excellent study
by Jack Smith, K8OZA at:
   http://cliftonlaboratories.com/elecraft_k3_agc_and_s-meter.htm

Careful study of Jack's tables would tend to support your belief that
the K3 could benefit from a higher threshold setting.  Comparing the
behavior of the K2 to that of the K3 as shown in Jack's charts, shows
support for a threshold of some 20 dB higher than the present -100 dBm
(~S4) that K8OZA measured for THR=8.   That would place the threshold
around S8 (-79 dBm) similar to that shown by the K2.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV