Please share your RX settings for SSB and your method of determining them

Thx
Don
KD8NNU

-- Sent from my Palm Pre
On Dec 11, 2010 12:42 PM, Ed Cienki <ed.cie...@verizon.net> wrote:

This is my first post to this reflector and would like to share some of my
observations.

First. I have a 4xxx series K3, built by Elecraft that is fully outfitted and
filtered running LP-Pan, an EMU-0202 and a MicroHam Station Master.

Second, I have been operating an IC-7700 for the past 2 yrs.

That being said I have run both rigs side-by-side into a IC-PW1 and Palstar
AT-Auto.

I must say that each radio has its own benefits and is outstanding to operate,
but here is where the K3 shines:

1. True dual VFO/dual receive;

2. Easy MARS modification (yes, I am a licensed AF MARS Operator);

3. IF out. LP-Pan and PowerSDR are outstanding;

4. ESSB - of course with the proper filtering being installed;

5. Tx Eq and Noise Gate - No out-board W2IHY EQ is needed (sorry Julius);

6. Light weight;

7. Unbelievable receive audio with the appropriate filtering;

8. Menu flexibility;and

9. Easy updating of firmware.

Candidly, I still love and use the IC-7700, but more and more I am utilizing
the K3.  The K3 is an outstanding value and robust transceiver.

As a separate matter (a bit of a rant here), and for example having seen the
ARRL and Sherwood engineering reports regarding the FTDX-5000.  We as hams are
always in search of "nirvana".  While I have heard the issues regarding the
FTDX-5000 design that have not made the mainstream press, the issue here is not
to bash Yaesu, but to congratulate and thank Wayne and Eric for the OUTSTANDING
job, not only with the design and operation of the K3, but their support of the
user group to identify issues and improvements  and their outstanding customer
support when you call them for assistance. Kudos to Elecraft.

Best, 73, Ed, N2EAC