That was it.  I had tried it a second time per installation
instructions.  Tried a third time and there it went.  Now I can
continue the installation.  There is another small mystery which can
be solved later.  When I go to fan 1 the fans jerk once but don't
spin.  Going to 2 3 and 4 they spin fine.  If I go to e and then to 1
they continue to spin.  Also if I start at 1 and flick the blades
with my finger they run fine.  Ill have to get out my VOM and check
the supply voltage.

Makes me think of that cell phone ad.  With Elecraft you are getting
thousands of support people.

David K0LUM