I also recently replaced the Heil Proset for CM500, not because of hearing
issues but better comfort in the long contests. I am not a big fan of vox, I
use a foot pedal to PTT the rig. I turned on the vox just to see if I have
same problem as you with CM500. I currently use front panel microphone
connector with homebrew adaptor and I also currently don't use the K3 bias
for the microphone, I still use the AAA battery pack that came with the
headset for the bias. I played with the vox settings so the levels will be
right and sensitivity of vox is correct. It is not difficult to do because
the CM500 microphone is highly directional. Here are my settings at this
point:
MIC is 30
CMP is 20
In the Main menu:
VOX GN is 010
ANTIVOX is 025

With these settings the vox works as it should. Knocking on the desk,
dropping pen on the desk or normal breathing do not trip the vox. I don't
know how loud are the signals you are hearing, my AF gain is at about 9
o'clock position to hear normal signals on 10m. The headset is closing the
ears pretty tight, hard to believe that audio from the headphones is able to
trip the vox.

73,
Igor, N1YX