On 12/12/2010 3:59 PM, Phil Townsend wrote:
> I have a friend in Mali that wants to set up an AM radio some were
> out in the boonies. No Reliable AC power etc etc third world problems
> import duty tax endless very red tape.

So, when do we get to the bad news? :-)

So the question is.... Can the
> K3 be made to transmit in the 1600 kc freq?

I don't know that, it can be made to hit MARS and EMCOMM frequencies.

  25 to 50 watts.

I believe on AM it is good for 25 watts ICAS.  Don't know about CCS
duty.  Also not sure how "CCS" your Mali friend needs to be.

  Is this even a reasonable idea?

Ummmm ... I can think of some better and cheaper ones, maybe starting
with a 1600 KHz crystal oscillator driving a couple of loafing 807's
plate modulated by another couple of 807's?  I might be able to find the
tubes [or 1625's] down in the tube box in the basement.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2011 Cal QSO Party 1-2 Oct 2011
- www.cqp.org