We are developing a new class of non-radial 160m counterpoise
solutions.  We had a few installed, and in use in the Stew Perry
Topband Distance Challenge last weekend. (We're actually TESTING them
before we go into blather mode, fancy that.)  Look up W0UCE in the
3830 TBDC score listing and compare his score to others in his area
(NC, VA, DC, PA).  Nothing like contests to point out weaknesses, or
none.   As of last count, he was in the top quarter of single op high
power scores, worldwide.

W0UCE's transmit antenna had NO radials of any kind.  He has a very
minimal up 47 feet out 85 foot end-fed wire for 160 (limits dictated
by available trees -- sound familiar?), working against a single wire
elevated folded counterpoise, no radials.  He has no space on his
subdivision lot for beverages and used a pennant and K9AY loop for RX
antennas.  The counterpoise, while giving up on field cancellation
loss below (the gift of DENSE radial fields) is designed to minimize
ground induction losses underneath while being an effective
counterpoise -- return energy for use in the RADIATING element.  His
words were "I felt loud."

There ARE significant differences between actual measurements and
model predictions (the expensive NEC4 pro EZNEC stuff) which we have
not explained (not for lack of trying), but if you really want to test
something, put it on line in a contest and go head to head with
everyone else.  There's no BS in contest results, just stark reality.
You either beat or get beat (think NASCAR and tire and engine
testing).

W0UCE's signal over the period of the contest is documented in the
Reverse Beacon Network, and we can compare it to anyone else's in the
USA over the contest period.  Jack's category of station is "small lot
little guy, running an amp."

Don, if you're interested, you're local, and we could put up one at
your place, including the cook's tour about how we think it works.
The 160m version of the counterpoise fits inside a a 45 degree right
triangle that has short sides of 60 feet and a hypotenuse of 86 feet,
to get the max out of small lots.  It's specifically being designed
for the little guy.  UCE lives in Youngsville and a tour is easily
arranged if you're interested.

We won't be asking anyone to put up something we haven't already tried
and tested.

73, Guy.