One of the things that Win 7 does a lot is to rearrange com ports.
This may NOT be your trouble, but it certainly happens enough, and is
NOT a driver problem, and can still happen and keep you from talking
to your K3.

After you plug in the USB cable for the USB/serial, bring up the
device manager (type device manager in the start menu search bar and
click on it in the list of candidate programs it generates).  Click on
Ports (COM & LPT).  Look for the com port THAT WAS ASSIGNED BY
WINDOWS.  Start up the K3 utility, click the "Port" tab.  Set the COM
port to match what you just found in device manager.

YOU MAY HAVE TO DO THIS EVERY TIME YOU START WINDOWS, particularly if
you have a lot of different USB devices you attach and remove from
time to time.  This is one of the reasons I bought a PCI-Ex Serial
Card.  It gets registered at bootup and is always in the list. You can
then right click on the device and select properties, click the Port
Settings tab, and then assign a low COM port number that it will
permanently retain.  I use COM1 and COM2, and have simply quit having
com port troubles of any kind.

The com ports of Microham devices can be made stable, even though it
uses USB to get to the box, by simply loading the USB Device router at
boot time.  So my COM 7 and COM 8 never change, because those numbers
have been set in software before any variable plug and play USB stuff
is run because of whatever USB stuff you have plugged in today.

I don't personally know of a way to fix USB com ports in the registry
or some such, without the device actually active.  I did go looking
for that information.  Anyone know how to do that?

73, Guy.